Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Revelation of the Ametuere

I've started a rewrite on the book, Bell, that I've finished writing the first draft of this summer. I have to admit; when I read through it the first few times after I finished it, I thought it was beautifully written to begin with.

But a recent read-through last week really hit me. After two chapters, I needed to whisper to myself: "This actually sounds like ametuere work!" Well, I can't complain. I'm an ametuere at my age with everything in the adult life. But I also knew, I could rewrite it better and longer. Maybe long enough that my publishing company pool will almost double in size when the manuscript goes over the 70,000 word mark.

I have to say it; I've only been working on this rewrite since last Saturday, and I'm already very proud of it. I'm working on my favorite story again. Next thing I knew, I was thinking up new events and challenges for my characters at those odd times like I had last summer while I was writing the first copy. I was thinking about an event involving the characters traveling through the woods and finding a clan of little dragons in the woods just before they reach a town. I noticed there was only one event involving these creatures, so I had a revelation. "Maybe one of the dragons could sneak into Bell's knapsack and she cares for him and takes him with her in secret . . . !"

There is so much to add. An event where my antaganist discovers one of the other main characters started shaving (he's fifteen, okay?! That stuff happens!). And maybe an event involving the antagonist and a younger cousin playing around and later getting caught in trouble.

I've gotta go write if I keep rambling on like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment